Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The agony of what ifs...

The agony of what ifs...
As I watched you walk down the the aisle,
In the country of that beautiful isle,
In a dress immaculate and white,
On the wings of love very light,
As the pastor began to comment,
What ifs began to torment,
What if we had worked out,
I would be spared this emotional work out,
What if you had said yes,
I would be spared this psychological mess,
What if I had pressed a little harder,
I would not have been your relationship warder,
What if...
What if...
What if...
You would be walking down this aisle to me,
I'll ask your husband,
How he got what I couldn't,
How he dared what I wouldn't,
Even though our relationship I will very much miss,
I wish you every marital bliss.

© 2010 afeseh ngwa hilary

3 comments:

  1. Uh uh! Sorry to see your love go. Moving forward, value each person that comes in your life. Take no one for granted. Treasure your relationships as if they were a prized possession. You'll be all the better for it, and you will spare yourself "the agony of what ifs."

    Lesson learned, Hil. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No graduation from the school of life as long as we have breath Grande soeur :) :)... some come, some go, some come and go, some come and stay, some come for a reason, some come for a season... and while all this goes on, the world will never pause to make sure the lesson was learned... the sun will still rise in the East and set in the west... life must go on... and if the lesson was never learned, there'll be a second chance, which might come with a greater price tag, in more painful sacrifice, so the earlier the lesson is learned the better.

    May we be spared the folly of ever taking anyone for granted and may we treasure in full measure our relationships... His grace is always sufficient... Thank you for the sweetening spice of your insight!

    ReplyDelete